Timber Post Bed & Breakfast

Hollis, New Hampshire

bed...breakfast...bliss

603-557-4534

timberpost@gmail.com

(placeholder)

Timber Post trivia and fun facts

-The house was built in 1774 when NH was still a colony under British rule. The USA wasn't born until 1776.

-Aaron Hardy, the original owner, and his brother Nehemiah marched to Concord Ma on April 19th 1775 to fight the British in the Revolution. He was told by his troop leader, Capt. Dow of Hollis, to return home to his three children. He died the day after Christmas that year at age 34.

-Aaron Hardy is buried in the Hollis town cemetery in Monument Square. (picture)

-The homestead was originally 200 acres. It is now 2.3 acres.

-The house was originally Cape Cod style. The 2nd and 3rd floor were added probably in 1904. (picture)

-Descendants of Aaron Hardy own Brookdale Fruit Farm just up the street.

-There is a hidden staircase behind the liquor cabinet in the great room. It leads nowhere.

-The original dug well is fieldstone lined and still holds water. It’s inside a well house attached to the east side of the house. This was quite a luxury in it’s day. The well is abandoned but may be used for garden irrigation in the future. (picture)

-There is an inaccessable attic behind the upstairs bathroom. A woman’s shoe was found there during renovation. My family left a small time capsule before closing off the wall. (picture)

-The widest plank found in the house is 22” wide. It hangs over the large fireplace.

-There are a number of prime, extra-wide boards used throughout this home. By law, these center-cut boards were to be sent back to England for the king’s use, but this owner made a direct statement by keeping these special boards for himself. One king’s board is featured over the fireplace in the Great Room. - See more at: http://www.cabinet.com/hollisbrooklinejournalhollisnews/939781-308/hollis-home-rife-with-history.html#sthash.bxqOyOpi.dpuf

-The basement is much smaller than the footprint of the house.

-The foundation is constructed of giant granite stones.

-There are three fireplaces. We believe a 4th is hidden behind the paneled wall in the den.

-The fireplace is supported by a massive arched foundation in the basement. It measures 12’ x 12'. The biggest granite stone is 44” x 29” x 32" and weighs approximately 4000lbs. (picture)

-There are timbers in the basement still covered in bark. (picture)

-The date 1904 is carved in the chimney in the attic.

-M.J. Powers signed a board in the attic in August 16th 1904. (picture)

-Timber Post is lit by over 500 energy saving Light Emitting Diodes and a few Compact Fluorescent Lights.

-Timber Post was almost called Wishing Well B&B.

-The large room next to the kitchen was originally a woodshed & carriage house. (picture from 10-17-1957)

-The side entrance door was originally where the picture window in the great room is (behind the mini fridge). We uncovered the original granite step in the garden.

-The great room was probably a kitchen before the current kitchen was added on.

-Innkeeper Vivian started a gift basket business in the 2000’s.

-Our family live in the barn next to Timber Post.

-The barn was a photography studio before our family bought the property.

-The basement of the barn was once used to raise cows.

-There is an inground pool buried in the back garden.

-There are seven lightning rods on Timber Post’s roof & more on the barn. Lightning rods were invented by Benjamin Franklin in 1749.

-The barn’s silo is made from concrete.